CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Do you have an alter ego?

So funny story here...

Awhile ago I got a letter in the mail stating that someone had been arrested with my pertinent information. Checked my credit, nothing came of it. Then when I worked for DCFS, I went to the jail to speak to a client. As I was telling this women she had lost her child, a big security guard came and got me and had me go back to the front. Now if any of you have visited the SL County jail, you know it is about a 5 minute walk from where you speak to the inmates and where you check in. I'm scared, the big security isn't talking, and remember I've only been working for DCFS for a few months. Come to find out there was an inmate currently checked in with my same name and somehow they had checked me in as her. We got it organized, but it was weird.She was in jail for identity theft and was spending over 1 year there. I found out some other information about her- she has defaulted her student loans (I got the letter), she has had children removed from her care, she had been to drug rehab. You know, a real winner. It's not fun to get mistaken as Misty Starr.

Who would have known there was another Ernest with the same last name out there, and he is from Utah too. He is also applying to dental school this year, and some of the schools my Ernie applied to have mixed up their applications. Ernest (the alter ego) called last night as one of the schools returned our check to him, stating he had already paid. And another school had stuck my Ernie's info in alter ego's folder. Nice huh, so my Ernie is calling all of the schools to make sure they are getting the right info in the right file.

That's our story. At least Ernie's alter ego has a good record. What's funny is neither of us have common names, yet we are mistaken as these other people. Does anyone else have a funny alter ego story?

4 comments:

Jana said...

I have pretty much never heard of that happening, especially to two people in one household! Crazy!!
I did discover recently online a girl who has my exact same name and does photography, but I don't think professionally.

Jocie said...

I have a sort of similar story, but it really has to do with my procrastination of finishing college. So, I finally finished all of my minor classes and have to reapply for graduation. Turns out I have to change requirement books cuz I waited too long and have an extra general credit to take. It is no big deal, but I have to be re-admitted to SUU and pay tuition and everything. Well... my mom gets a letter saying congrats and welcome to SUU and she calls me. She thinks that someone is going to school under my name and sending her stuff and is VERY worried that my identity has been stolen. I tell her I will call them (which I did and yelled at a poor girl to NEVER send my mother my mail EVER again) It was pretty funny though. Who would steal my identity to go to college at SUU and have my parents same address. Really!?

Telitha said...

Wow Misty, that's Crazy! Poor Ernie! That's a real headache! I hope it all works out ok! I think it would be one in a billion that someone would have my same name since my married name isn't that common either:)
-Telitha

Day Family Blog said...

Fortunately we have never had an experience like that. Scary that you were mistaken for an inmate. Maybe all of this mix up with Ernie will help him to get accepted. Are you guys coming to the reunion this year?